Firstly: it’s no secret, however, that I idolise Mia Freedman. I write about her often, stalked her at the Family Life Forums, practically memorised her books, articles – everything. You all know that.
So it’s with great pleasure that I can finally announce that currently – as I type! – I’m in Sydney interning for Mamamia, Mia’s website!
When I got the email saying that my application had been successful, I was at a shopping centre with my sister. We were in line, waiting for a juice, and I started jumping up and down. (There may or may not have been fist pumping.) My sister was mortified and begged me to stop, but I couldn’t.
And so now I am in Sydney for two weeks, interning full time. Usually they’d get people one day a week or so from Sydney universities, as most places would with interns, yet because I’m from Melbourne I asked if they’d consider doing something intensive and they’ve been so flexible and lovely about it.
I’m staying really close to the office which is brilliant as it means I can walk – which is what I wanted, not relying on any public transport.
It’s hard to describe what it’s like to be here.
Mamamia is my favourite website that I’ve been reading for years; Mia has long been my idol… It’s strange being in this environment.
Mia gave me a compliment earlier and I almost died.
My desk is right. Next. To. Mia’s.
The post-it note wall is behind me (all those familiar with MM will know what I’m talking about).
Everyone that you see in the Open Post photo galleries is here.
(It’s kind of funny being in that space, where you feel like you know them so well yet they don’t know you!)
So, obviously, posting is going to be a bit slack for the next fortnight while I’m up here as I’m going to be at MM.
And, obviously, I won’t be able to talk super-much about what happens here in the office, but let me say the following:
- The post-it note wall is amazing, endless information, planning, the works
- The office has the most amazing water view, just divine
- It feels very surreal to be here after being a fan for so long
- Mia is – hard to sum up in one word. Amazing. Driven. Knowledgeable. It’s really weird to be sitting one desk away from her. (Okay, weird because I have a giant urge to drop to my knees and proclaim how much I idolise her (okay, can’t really do that, must be professional (breath, breath breath)))
- The people who work here are the most amazing, passionate, intelligent people ever and are so giving, lovely and friendly
A few people told me before I came up that I had to remember to breathe.
Yeah, not really happening!!
Have you ever met your idol? How did it go?